Friday, February 7, 2020

Planning the 2020 Garden

I know I must have lots of tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, onions, and garlic planted for our homemade hot sauce. That’s a given.



As I mentioned last time, I ordered and have received a variety of seeds. Some for us, some for the chickens, some for the bees. Most of the ones for bees are also “eye candy” for me, to make my heart happy. Honestly, everything/anything that grows makes my heart happy!

I know I went a little overboard with buying sunflower seeds... four different types! It’s okay to call me obsessed. In my defense, what better specimen could I grow that one can see the Fibonacci sequence? I’m thrilled I went overboard because of all the benefits sunflowers bring to the dirt and birds and bees and me! It was interesting to read the Fun Facts About Sunflowers!


Speaking of dirt... I need dirt! I need good soil because more than last year, I’m planning raised beds - due to the armadillos! So, I’ve ordered 6 yards of soil that will arrive Monday - weather permitting! It’s coming from “a pit on a creek in an old hay field” which should be good rich dirt! I also found a nice pile of decomposed horse manure I’m picking up on Sunday - as much as we can load! Mixing the two should make a nice growing medium for the upcoming garden.

I’m looking at lots of work between now and April 1st (our last expected frost date)! I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment