Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Got Dirt!

Yes! Delivered yesterday!

I now have a nice big pile of rich looking dirt! As it dumped out of the truck, it didn’t appear to have much rock mixed with the soil. This was/is a nice surprise knowing what the ground looks like around here!



I didn’t make it out to pick up the decomposed horse manure that I mentioned last time. That’s okay. I’ll use the readily available cow poop from our pasture! If I get super energetic, a neighbor invited me to get poop from Max the Horse!

With the predicted incoming rain over the next couple of days (we’ve received 1.4" so far today!), we covered the mound of dirt with a tarp. It will be a while before I can really start spreading it all out. That’s okay. We need the rain. Hopefully, in between downpours, I can get the newspapers and cardboard put in place. I truly believe/support the “no-dig” method of gardening! It worked wonderfully last year!

By the way, I’ve got “green” growing in the milk/water jugs from my winter sowing! All but 3 (the tomato seeds) have sprouted so far! Maybe by the time this rain spell is over all will be showing signs of life!
       
I even “sowed” an avocado pit yesterday - just to see what happens! It’s never worked for me before with the toothpick & water method. Of course, it hasn't yet sprouted!

Goodness... pulling weeds for the chickens is very easy this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment