Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Winter Sowing

At our last Garden Club meeting, a member mentioned, “Winter Sowing” and briefly explained the milk jug concept. Then she said, “Do a Google!” Oh my. When life allowed a few days later I did just that!

Of the various YouTube channels I watched, one highly recommended using oil-based Sharpie pens to note the type of seeds and when sowed. She claims they will not rub off the plastic! Last year I used “regular” Sharpies and made - what I thought were cute - plant labels from cutting up milk jugs. After a few times of getting wet (from the little rain we received) the writing simply disappeared! I’ll try the oil based Sharpies (I had never heard of them before!) and hopefully they will stay!


Another creator shared how she uses string tied to the milk jug’s handle. She annotates in her journal one string = a certain type of seed, two strings another, and so on. I’m not excited with that labeling method!

I found the Juicing Gardner on YouTube and she shares numerous tips using all sorts of jugs, and also about in-ground planting using all sorts of containers for domes!

Last month I began requesting FREE seed catalogs from companies! The most impressive catalog came from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds! It’s more like a book - 146 pages worth! I HIGHLY recommend this one!!!


 Their website is amazing! Of course one can order directly from their website, but there is another level of contentment sitting in a comfortable chair, holding the catalog in your hands, going through it page by page! It’s what I love to do on a cold winter day! 

I’ve seen The Whole Seed Catalog on the shelf at Walmart, but never looked at it closely to know it is also from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds until I saw it on their website!




I received the FREE catalog in the mail several weeks before Jessica of Roots and Refuge Farms shared on YouTube a 3 part series touring their place!

           
Simply amazing!

This makes me excited to do winter sowing! And now I must make the decisions... oh which ones to sow!

What would you grow?


No comments:

Post a Comment