Friday, September 27, 2019

9 Lessons Learned

Not long after the garden began growing I started making a list of what I need to do (or not do) next time. I know I didn’t get to pen/paper in time on occasion because I was in the process of watering the garden. Each time I thought, Oh, I will remember this!- nope. I have a nagging, What was it?

If important enough, someday it will come to me.

A few lessons learned after a bit of tidying up and planting the fall garden:

1.  Newspapers actually killed the grass & weeds. The dirt is nice and crumbly albeit not very deep. Maybe I didn’t put down enough layers of cardboard because underneath it the grass only lost its green but it’s still there, ready, waiting for the sun again!

2.  The repurposed black tubs used for “raised beds” did keep the armadillos at bay! In the future, however, I will add drain holes around the sides close to the bottom instead of the actual bottom. I had to place the tubs on rock to allow for drainage - those few times we got a gully washer. It doesn’t seem like it right now, but we will get rain again - someday.
3.  I will never EVER again plant a vine to travel across the ground... like cantaloupe or cucumber. It uses way too much footprint. I am planning to use cattle panels and build trellises/arches like Roots and Refuge Farm. See Jess explain perfectly...

I’m already collecting mesh bags (such as repurposed onion bags) to help support the fruit so its weight will not be an issue. I also found on Amazon what they call “melon hammocks” that I would rather make than purchase. It would be a nice winter project!

4.  Document Document Document! I failed to keep records of what I planted, when they were planted, and where I planted! Starting with the fall garden, I now have a book at least documenting what/when. I’m taking more pictures of where I planted!

5.  I tried several methods when planting INDETERMINATE tomatoes. The first was adding a banana peel and two aspirins in the hole before the tomatoes were planted. They produced very well. I then heard about placing an egg in the hole and barely cracking it before planting the tomato plant. The three plants with an egg are growing very nicely and have a lot of blooms! Time will tell if they produce nicely.
6.  I made the mistake on 3 tomato plants whereas it’s difficult to get behind the plants to check for hornworms or grasshoppers or to simply stake them better. This won’t happen again.

7.  Also when planting tomatoes, I will continue to add dill, basil, and marigolds in the same area. Just a lot more!

8.  Never again will I allow a spider to form its web anywhere near the garden. I was heartbroken when I discovered 3 honey bees trapped.

9.  A better watering system needs to be created. I’m gathering the pieces and parts to make a modular irrigation system like Texas Prepper 2 explains here:



Although every day I will continue to carefully examine each plant for unwanted critters because it’s my most favorite time out in the garden! I’m just tired of dragging a hose around! Not too mention I'm wasting precious water!

I still can’t remember what it was I was going to write down...

Pray for rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment